Saturday, September 24, 2011

I love Food. I love Art. I love my Culture.


My name is Bleu Adams. I am of Navajo, Hidatsa and Mandan descent. Originally from Provo, UT, I moved with my family to the Navajo Reservation when I was 12 years old. On the "Rez", Frybread is a staple. Add beans, meat, cheese, onions, lettuce and tomato and you have a Navajo Taco. Add hamburger patties and a green chili and you have a Navajo Burger. Add honey butter, powdered sugar, cinnamon or even salt and it becomes a delicious dessert. I can't imagine eating a bowl of posole with out a piece of hot frybread to dip into that gorgeous red broth.

If you've ever visited the Navajo "Rez", perhaps you've noticed one or two people carrying a little blue cooler filled with homemade Navajo style tortillas wrapped around potatoes, spam, eggs and sometimes green chili. That was me at one time. My mother would wake us at sunrise and we would help her prepare breakfast burritos, biscuits and desserts. We would hit all the "administration" buildings around noon, selling out within an hour or two. Sometimes I hated it. I was a little embarrassed if I encountered a friend or a friends parent. But mostly I was proud of the food and it's quality.

I've sold Navajo tacos at countless fairs, pow wows and events over the years. I've set up booths from Arizona to North Dakota, often hours before anyone else, and tore down after they all had gone. I tested recipes and experimented with flavors, trying to bring a contemporary feel to an old tradition. There was success. But there was also failure along the way.

2 years after resettling in Provo, I made the decision to open a restaurant. That was 6 years ago. 

On September 1st, 2011, with the help of my amazing husband and family, My sister and I signed a lease for 19 N University Avenue in Provo, UT.

Coming Soon! Black Sheep Cafe, Gallery & Gift!

5 comments:

  1. Congrats! Glad your documenting this tasty movement.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I'm glad to see someone is following and commenting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, this is inspiring! I am a Navajo student at BYU and my wife and I are excited to eat at Black Sheep Cafe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Charles! I look forward to serving, especially, the Native American community!

    ReplyDelete